20 Years Ago (1997)
With a jury finally impaneled, Dr. Stephen Scher’s murder trial moved forward Wednesday in Susquehanna County Court.
For at least one weekend this summer, the McDonald’s restaurant in Tunkhannock had the fastest drive-thru window in the country.
The Lake Winola Lions Club recently presented Leon Ace with the ‘Lion of the Year’ award.
Radio stations WEMR-AM and FM, Tunkhannock, may soon be part of Citadel Communications Corporation after a sale by Endless Mountain Broadcasting.
The East Lemon United Methodist Church will hold its first autumn Festival on Saturday, Sept. 27.
Dylan John Grunza, son of Leonard and Brenda Grunza of Lake Sheridan, will celebrate his third birthday on Sept. 18.
Devin Anderson, son of Larry Anderson of Arkansas and Janet Brown of Meshoppen, is headed to basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas.
Tunkhannock Kiwanian Rees Squier Davies was congratulated on having been elected as Lt. Gov. for the Kiwanis Division 15. Kenneth Leone is the local club president for 1997-98.
County Commissioner Bill Reid and Tunkhannock Area Middle School teachers Jerry Morgan and Karen Wargo have been chosen to receive Environmental Partnership Awards this fall.
40 Years Ago (1977)
Lucinda L. Krewson, 75, co-publisher of the Tunkhannock Republican & New Age from 1935 to 1966, died Friday. She started working for the paper in 1916.
Early figures for enrollment in Tunkhanock Area schools show 4,153 students (1,655, K-4; 1,285,5-8; and 1,213,9-12).
Smoke rose Saturday at the Chris Johnson farm in South Auburn as Civil War enthusiasts from New Jersey and Pennsylvania shot artillery from the era.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Howell of Mehoopany will mark their 50th wedding anniversary on Oct. 1.
Pvt. Stanley Crone, of RD3 Tunkhannock, completed Army boot camp and expects to be assigned to Ft. Gordon, Ga.
Tnkhannock Area School Board earmarked six mills of around $150,000 of new school subsidy for tax relief in 1978-79.
Lake Winola United Methodist Church’s board has formed a committee to go ahead with the building of the church sanctuary.
The demolition of the old schoolhouse building in Meshoppen was finally decided at a meeting of the borough council.
Sidney J. Rumbold, of Lake Sheridan Road, Nicholson will celebrate his 90th birthday, Sept. 15.
Some 176 dairymen and members of the NEBA-Sire Power gathered at Triton Fire Hall in Tunkhannock for a 30-year dinner honoring technician Harry Keeney of Meshoppen.
60 Years Ago (1957)
Clifford R. Roslund, supervising principal of the Tunkhannock Joint Schools, states that the driver education program is off to a good start for the New Year.
A celebration of the 115th anniversary of the Lymanville Methodist Church will be held Sunday.
The Bagley-Lane family reunion was held Aug. 31 at Fairdale. Oldest person present was Clementine Hollister, 98; and youngest was Gary Baker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Myron Baker.
People still complain about the condition of the borough streets, but at last we have a good road from Tunkhannock to Meshoppen.
With its open house a big success, Warren Transformer can now get down to serious work, which should increase our town’s prosperity.
Star-Lite Drive In: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in ‘An Affair to Remember.’
Interest is mounting day by day within the county in the first Pennsylvania International Livestock Exposition to be held Nov. 12-16, in the Farm Show Building in Harrisburg.
Keystone Automobile Club yesterday called for a new and intensive campaign to strictly enforce speed and safety laws applying to big passenger buses and trucks.
James L. Hope 23, son of Gerald F. Hope, of Mehoopany is a member of the 24th Infantry
Division in Korea.
80 Years Ago (1937)
Hon. Stanley Brunges, 86, died Monday following a paralytic stroke.
Tunkhannock will soon have a new witch hazel distillery modernly equipped and with larger capacity than any plant formerly operated here.
Wyoming County wants to have a really keen dramatic tournament this fall with representatives from Granges, P.T.A. organizations, churches and other organized clubs.
According to the Towanda Review, Charles Genter, of Tunkhannock, has been placed in charge of the State Emergency Relief Board at Towanda.
The Public Works Administration announced this week an allotment of $97,000 for the construction of an armory at Tunkhannock.
Donald Harvey, 6, son of Mr. and Mrs. Russell Harvey, recently fell from the cannon on the Court House lawn and sustained a fracture of the right arm.
The farmers are busy filling silos this week.
Lake Winola: Several boys of the Vocational School are putting on a Range Shelter demonstration at the County Fair this week. They also have several pigs entered as exhibits.
George Gay recently exhibiting a perfect three-yolk egg which was laid by a pullet from the flock of Charles Gay on his fame in Lemon Township.
Mrs. Jennie Rogers has completed alterations in her beauty shop which have more than doubled its area.
100 Years Ago (1917)
Fall is moving victoriously on.
A substantial concrete walk has been laid in front of property at 47 Bridge Street, owned by C.H. Dixon and occupied by H.A. Crandall.
Preparations are being made for the erection of a new blacksmith shop on the site of the old Wyoming House barn, to be occupied by C. Repsher.
When the drafted men are called for mobilization, preparatory to being sent to camp, they will be given meal tickers that will be honored at any hotel or eating house.
The borough dumping ground near the creek bank at the eastern limits of the borough had to be abandoned owing to the objections of a certain resident of that locality.
Alpheus Miner of Eaton Township is carrying one foot in a sling, having cut it badly with an axe.
Lemon: School opened this week with Miss Emma Keithline in charge.
Forkston Township road supervisors got into a little difficulty recently from parties at Bella Sylva reporting they had roads in that place.
Somebody stole about 30 bushels of oats, nearly the entire crop owned by Rev. J.E. Stanton, pastor of the Eatonville Baptist Church, a few nights ago.
The Red Cross at Mehoopany is doing a very large amount of work at their headquarters. They now have 165 members and the most of them are either knitting or sewing.
120 Years Ago (1897)
Noxen has five cases of typhoid fever.
Merchants are paying 45 cents a bushel for potatoes, 40 cents for apples,and $1 for peaches.
All of the summer trains between Tunkhannock and Lake Carey are now discontinued by order of Asa P. Blakeslee, superintendent.
The Tunkhannock Electric Light and Power Company has contracted with the Scranton Electric Construction Company for the erection of the plant that is to light the town.
F.P. Avery’s flower garden was never finer than it is this season and it is a bower of beauty.
This is the month for fires. Look out for your chimney flues.
The last game of the season for the Tritons was played on the home grounds with the D & H team on Saturday. It resulted in a 7-4 victory for the visitors.
The tomato soup this year was probably never excelled. G.H. Avery comes to the fore with one specimen weighing two pounds.
Factoryville: The old Harding hotel is now occupied by Arthur Bedell and family.
Milk is now selling for 64 cents per can, a rise of 20 cents since July. The mooley cow, like the Western farmer, will be able to pay off her debts soon.
Wm. Sterling, at Russell Hill, was here Saturday. He reports work on the new M.E. church progressing.