Two Wyoming County homes hit by fire
Two Wyoming County families were displaced by house fires about three hours apart Thursday.
Triton Fire Chief Joe Balewski said that around 9:45 a.m., a fire started in the basement of a home at 212 Shadowbrook Lane in Tunkhannock Twp., with the fire marshal determining the cause to be malfunctioning electrical wiring.
He said that about half of the home belonging to George Thomas was severely damaged by fire, and the rest of the home sustained smoke damage. dispacing Thomas and one other resident.
Five fire companies assisted Triton at the scene along with Tunkhannock Community Ambulance.
Not long after Triton had returned to its station from that call but another one came in around 1 p.m., for a home at 511 Stark Road in Lemon Twp.
Chief Balewski said that the residence, sustained heavy smoke damage and two persons were displaced, but he did not have their names at hand.
He noted that a fire marshal would be on the scene Friday morning to try to determine a cause. Three fire companies and the Red Cross assisted Triton on that call.
Chief Balewski reminded that the county remains under a ‘red flag’ brush fire alert.